GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Dermatology, cardiology, women's health, psychiatry, pain medicine and many other medical specialty practices, as well as imaging and laboratory services, are now all in one place at the new UF&Shands at Springhill center in northwest Gainesville. Community and business leaders joined UF&Shands administrators at an official opening ceremony today (Dec. 13).
"This new facility is a major step in a series of planned initiatives to provide world-class health care to the citizens of Gainesville and the region. This multi-specialty facility is not just about providing health care in beautiful, spacious surroundings ... although it does that ... it is about access to our University of Florida specialists in a convenient and highly responsive manner, " said David Guzick, M.D., Ph.D., UF senior vice president for health affairs and president, UF&Shands Health System. "The new practice will help reduce hassles for our patients so they can focus their energies on getting well, rather than on trying to figure out logistics."
The $35 million, 111,600-square-foot building on Northwest 39th Avenue is home to the following services:
· Cardiology: subspecialists have expertise in electrophysiology, heart failure, transplantation, interventional cardiology and other fields
· Dermatology: provides general and pediatric consultations, skin cancer evaluation and management and cosmetic services
· Reproductive endocrinology: superior services to address infertility, in vitro fertilization and a variety of gynecologic conditions
· Obstetrics and gynecology: equipped to handle low-risk as well as complicated pregnancies
· Adult psychiatry: faculty experts treat depression, anxiety, eating disorders, addiction and pain
· Pain medicine: nonsurgical and minimally invasive procedures to treat chronic, disabling pain requiring intensive rehabilitation
· Other medical and surgical specialties
· Radiology: includes diagnostic imaging and mammography
· Laboratories: on-site medical laboratories help speed diagnoses and treatment
The four-story facility is a one-stop shop that makes it easier for patients who need to see multiple specialists. It also brings together parts of practices that had been in different locations around town, allowing for better continuity of care.