Top 5 things a pharmacist should let patients know:
1. Magnesium can cause toxic effects in people taking certain blood pressure medications, or affect minerals like fluoride, phosphate supplements or levothyroxine.
2. Further studies need to be done for proof, but magnesium may help with asthmatic symptoms. This is more commonly used to treat constipation or low magnesium levels in the body.
3. How it works: Magnesium prevents your muscle cells from taking in calcium, and it's the calcium that makes the muscle in your lungs tighten up. So, your lungs will relax and help you breathe better.
4. Some common side effects you may experience are diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. It's always important to stay hydrated.
5. Contraindications include: Don't take magnesium if you have kidney or heart disease, or if you are pregnant.
Natural Medicines. Food, Herbs, & Supplements. Magnesium. Available at: https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/databases/food,-herbs-supplements/professional.aspx?productid=998. Accessed September 10th, 2017.
DRUGDEX® System (electronic version). Truven Health Analytics, Greenwood Village, Colorado, USA. Available at: http://www.micromedexsolutions.com/micromedex2/librarian/PFDefaultActionId/evidencexpert.DoIntegratedSearch# (cited: 9/12/2017).
Kokotajlo S, Degnan L, Meyers R, Siu A, Robinson C. Use of Intravenous Magnesium Sulfate for the Treatment of an Acute Asthma Exacerbation in Pediatric Patients. The Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology and Therapeutics : JPPT. 2014;19(2):91-97. doi:10.5863/1551-6776-19.2.91.
Rowe BH, Bretzlaff JA, Bourdon C, et al: Intravenous magnesium sulfate treatment for acute asthma in the emergency department: a systematic review of the literature. Ann Emerg Med 2000; 36(3):181-190.
Kazaks AG, Uriu-Adams JY, Albertson TE, Shenoy SF, Stern JS. Effect of oral
magnesium supplementation on measures of airway resistance and subjective
assessment of asthma control and quality of life in men and women with mild to
moderate asthma: a randomized placebo controlled trial. J Asthma. 2010
Bichara, Marcel Davalos, Goldman, Ran D. MD. Magnesium for treatment of asthma in children. Can Fam Physician. 2009; 55(9): 887-889.
Lexicomp OnlineⓇ, Lexi-DrugsⓇ, Hudson, Ohio: Lexi-Comp, Inc.; September 15, 2017. https://online.lexi.com/lco/action/doc/retrieve/docid/patch_f/7216#f_interactions