YOUR DESCRIPTION HAS REACHED THE LIMIT OF CHARACTERS ALLOWED AND WAS CUT. DAYTON-- Doctors at Dayton Children's Hospital are warning this holiday season of the dangers of "button batteries" that are commonly found in toys.
The batteries are small enough to swallow, and can cause serious corrosive damage if your child swallows one.
"Everything has a watch battery these days, even those little toys that you get from fast food restaurants," said Dr. Ravi Elluru, who specializes in ear, nose, and throat ailments at Dayton Children's Hospital.
"He likes to be a joker and thinks its funny but this time it wasn't so funny," said Rebecca Roberts about her 4-year-old grandson, Hunter.
Hunter became a patient at Dayton Children's after he found a button battery in a drawer at his grandmother's house and swallowed it.
"He came into the living room and he says ma-maw, I swallowed a battery! I'm like what!?" Roberts recalled.
After Roberts rushed the boy to Dayton Children's Hospital, doctors had to act fast to get the battery out because it had lodged in his throat.
"If they get lodged and in contact with the lining of the food pipe-- the esophagus-- then it starts a corrosive action," said Dr. Elluru.
Dayton Children's Hospital produced a video to demonstrate how quickly the battery could damage the lining of the esophagus, using a piece of deli meat to replicate human tissue.
After the test, the battery had visibly eaten away at the deli meat, on both sides, and it took only two hours.
"It is literally corroding and burning away the lining of the esophagus where the battery is placed," said Dr. Elluru about the test.
"Infections can then spread very rapidly from that food pipe into your chest and that can be a life threatening situation," he warned.
Dr. Elluru suggests that as parents start wrapping presents for the holidays, pay extra attention to what toys the batteries may be located in, especially toys that talk or light up.
After the incident with Hunter, Rebecca Roberts said she shopped extra carefully for her curious Grandson for the upcoming holiday.
"I don't think I got anything that uses batteries," she said, "I'm hoping I didn't, but you know some toys you get them home and they have batteries in them."
Dr. Elluru added that other than taking precaution as to what toys and household items the batteries may be located in, pay attention if your child starts having breathing problems, or refuses to eat or drink, as those may be signs that they swallowed a button battery or other foreign object.
DAYTON -- With the Christmas season upon us, Dayton Children's Hospital is warning of an increasing danger: Children swallowing small batteries.
The hospital says the threat is there with remote controls, toys, books with music or sound, greeting cards, watches, flameless candles, key fobs, scales, thermometers, hearing aids, diabetic testing tools or other medical devices.
And time is the enemy, Dayton Children's Hospital says.
Major damage can be done in as little as two hours and the damage can take years and several surgeries to repair. Even then, sometimes a return to normal is not possible.
It looks like a little bomb has gone off in a childs throat, says Ravi Elluru, MD, PhD, advanced pediatric airway, ear, nose and throat doctor at Dayton Childrens. You can see the indentation in the esophagus where the battery was and a lot of blackened scar tissue around it.
Dr. Elluru has had to reconstruct the airway of a child who swallowed a button battery.