"Faith and Works" is a sermon preached at the Mountain Creek Church of Christ in Chattanooga, TN. The sermon compares the teaching on faith in Hebrews 11 with James 2.
Faith is the fundamental building block to relationship w/ God
Some think what one believes is unimportant
Actually, whether and what you believe is important
everyone's choices are based on some type of faith
I. Faith in God Is Absolutely Necessary to a Christian
A. V. 6
1. Must be in power of God v. 3
2. Can not please God, have relationship w/ him
B. All who please God, trust him
1. Noah, Abraham, Israel(Jericho), Peter (water)
2. Test of faith/trust -- how far will you go
C. Most people lack basic, simple faith
1. Live in fear, always uncomfortable
2. What's the next calamity -- when's the sky going to fall?
D. Faithful rely on power and protection of God
1. Heb 12:1-2
2. 1 Tim 6:17 not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy.
3. Some teach faith is only part of relationship w/ God
II. Faith Must Be Accompanied by Works -- James 2:14-26
A. Simple belief or agreement is nothing special v. 19
1. After washing feet -- John 13:17 If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.
2. 2 Peter 2:21 For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them.
B. Those w/out active faith will not endure v. 20
1. Dead = fruitless, useless
2. John 15:2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit.
C. One must have faith and works to please God
1. V. 21 Abraham justified by works
a. Rom 4:1-3 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, has found? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? "ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS."
2. V. 22-24 Abraham justified b/c of effect of faith on works
III. Works Must Be the Result of Faith
A. Rom 1:16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."
1. Only faithful follow gospel
2. Righteousness is important along w/ faith
B. Mark 16:16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
1. Condemned even if baptized
C. Romans 10:3-10
1. Can't put faith in ability to keep law
2. Faith in heart that Jesus was raised and confession -- faith controls actions
We must trust God completely -- not ourselves
If we do, our actions will reveal our faith to the world
If we don't our actions will not matter