Here are GTN's top 9 open water swim skills for beginners. Open water swimming can be a bit daunting for beginner triathletes however, with these skills, you can learn to love the freedom of swimming outdoors!
Subscribe to GTN: http://gtn.io/SubscribetoGTN
Check out the GTN Shop: http://gtn.io/15
Open water swimming can be a bit daunting for new triathletes but once you take the plunge we guarantee you'll enjoy it! Mark and Heather are at the BEST Swim Centre in Mallorca and bring your their top tips for beginning your open water journey.
Here are their 9 top tips for open water swimming:
- Equipment: Buy a wetsuit that fits well to prevent fighting it or carrying lots of water in it. Make sure you can be seen with a bright coloured hat and ensure you have a good set of googles to be able to see the course and any dangers ahead.
- Safety: This is paramount in open water swimming. Swim at a proper venue with water testing and make sure to swim with someone else or have a spotter on the side. Also, familiarise yourself with the course entry and exit point before jumping in.
- Warm up: It can be difficult to warm up when the water is cold so limbering up before can make a big difference. A few press ups and arm swings will suffice.
- Climatization: Sit on the edge with your feet in the water and splash some on your face to get your body used to the cold water.
- Lie on your back: Enter the water slowly to allow your body to get used to the temperature change. A good way to relax is lie on your back and take several deep breaths to control your breathing.
- Rescue: Should you find yourself in difficulty in deep water then roll on to your back and wave to catch someone attention.
- Confidence: Build confidence by taking it one step at a time. Step one is to fully submerge whilst blowing bubbles do ensure you can control your breathing.
- Start slowly: Don't rush in to a long swim, especially if you are new to the open water. Swim to a buoy a short distance away, then take a break before continuing.
- Finally.... ENJOY IT!
If you'd like to contribute captions and video info in your language, here's the link 👍 http://gtn.io/16
Music: BF - HIP HOP - UPBEAT BRIGHT; EINAR ERLANDER - INSIDE ALWAYS RAINS.
Watch more on GTN...
📹 How To Cycle Like A Pro http://gtn.io/BikePro
📹 9 Essential Triathlon Skills To Master http://gtn.io/9TriSkills
The Global Triathlon Network (GTN) is the best triathlon YouTube channel, with videos for anyone who loves triathlon: from seasoned Ironman racers to first timers – and everyone in between.
With the help of our pro and Olympic medal winning team, we’re here to inform, entertain and inspire you to become a better triathlete; including videos on:
How to swim, bike, and run faster with expert knowledge
Beat your PB with record-breaking expertise
Get the best from your bike and gear with pro know-how
In-depth, entertaining features from the heart of the sport
Chat, opinion and interact with us across the channel and on social media every week
Join us on YouTube’s best triathlon channel to get closer to the sport and to become a better, faster and fitter triathlete.
Welcome to the Global Triathlon Network.
Thanks to our sponsors:
Cervelo bikes: http://gtn.io/cervelo
Assos of Switzerland clothing: http://gtn.io/Assos
KASK helmets: http://gtn.io/kask
Park Tool: http://gtn.io/parktool
Profile Design: http://gtn.io/profiledesign
Zipp wheels: http://gtn.io/zipp
Quarq powermeters: http://gtn.io/quarq
Vision wheels: http://gtn.io/vision
Team Bath: http://gtn.io/TeamBath
YouTube Channel - http://gtn.io/YouTube
Facebook - http://gtn.io/Facebook
Instagram - http://gtn.io/Instagram
Twitter - http://gtn.io/Twitter
Google+ - http://gtn.io/GooglePlus
Strava Club - http://gtn.io/stravaclub