Everyone hates paying those big fees for using your iPhone overseas. I finally got tired of it and figured out how to use my domestic phone number to make and receive calls and text messages for free while traveling abroad.
This all started in March when I went to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, I brought two iPhones, paid the international monthly package rate for my domestic number and bought a sim card for the other for daily use. I kept my domestic phone off and just checked it once a day to see if I received any calls or messages. This was very inconvenient, not only carrying two iPhones, but also setting up the extra phone with all my apps before my trip.
I was determined to find a better way before my trip to Germany the next month. I did hours and hours of Googling, trying to find the best solution and it finally all came together.
Here are the steps to follow to free yourself from carrying two phones and paying international fees:
1) Make sure your iPhone is unlocked
2) Download the Verizon Message + app
3) Download the Talkatone app, sign up, choose a phone number
4) Turn off iMessages
5) Turn off Facetime
6) Under notifications, turn off Messages, turn on Message +
7) Before your flight takes off, forward your phone to your Talkatone number. dial *72 plus your Talkatone number, make the call and you will hear some beeps, this means it's forwarded
8) Once you're in the air, remove your Verizon sim card and store it in the case so you don't lose it. DO NOT LOSE THE VERIZON SIM CARD!
9) When you land in the new country, buy a sim card, install it, make sure the data works. You're all set to use your US Verizon phone number in the new country for calls and texts!
10) Enjoy the free calls and text messages during your trip.
When you're ready to come home, here's the steps to put everything back to normal:
1) Once you take off on your flight, remove the international sim card, install your Verizon sim card. Store the international sim card in the case.
2) When you land back in the US, dial *73 and you will hear a few beeps, now your phone is NOT forwarded anymore
3) Under notifications, turn off Message +, turn on Messages
4) Turn on iMessages
5) Turn on Facetime
That's it, everything is back to normal.
Here's a link to the iPhone case I use on Amazon (I'll receive an extremely small commission if you use my link, thanks!)
G-CASE iPhone Leather Case Duke