Vitamin B12 deficiency can occur in all kinds of individuals. It may be of particular concern if you are following a vegan or vegetarian diet, or taking medications that reduce your absorption ability of vitamins. This video looks at what exactly a vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to and the ways in which you can obtain vitamin B12 through your diet or by taking B12 supplements.
This video was created by Demystifying Medicine students Dhruvika Joshi, Prabhjot Khabra, Minahil Jabeen and Vanessa Lombardo.
Copyright McMaster University 2017
1. Bruins Slot, W., Merkus, F. W., Deventer, S. J. H. V., & Tytgat, G. N. (1997). Normalization of plasma vitamin B12 concentration by intranasal hydroxocobalamin in vitamin B12-deficient patients. Gastroenterology, 113, 430-433.
2. Daily Intake. (2017). Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Retrieved 30 October 2017, from http://www.inspection.gc.ca.libaccess.lib.mcmaster.ca/food/labelling/food-labelling-for-industry/nutrition-labelling/information-within-the-nutrition-facts-table/eng/1389198568400/1389198597278?chap=6
3. Dietary reference intakes for thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B b6 s, folate, vitamin B b12 s, pantothenic acid, biotin, and choline. (1998) (pp. 306-356). Washington, D.C.
4. Ermens, A., Vlasveld, L., & Lindemans, J. (2003). Significance of elevated cobalamin (vitamin B12) levels in blood. Clinical Biochemistry,36(8), 585-590. doi:10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2003.08.004
5. Ganeson, S., Thanawala, N., & Hussain, N. (2013). Vitamin B12 deficiency: a treatable cause of developmental delay in infancy. J Paediatric Child Health, 49(4): E348-349. doi: 10.1111/jpc.12158
6. Gropper SS, Smith JL, Groff JL. Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism: Fourth Edition. Boston, MA: Wadsworth (2004).
7. Hashim, O. H., & Adnan, N. A. (1994). Coenzyme, cofactor and prosthetic group — Ambiguous biochemical jargon. Biochemical Education,22(2), 93-94. doi:10.1016/0307-4412(94)90088-4
8. Hvas, A., & Nexo, E. (2006). Diagnosis and treatment of vitamin B12 deficiency. An update. Haematologica, 91(11), 1506-1512.
9. Institute of Medicine (US) Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes. (1998). Dietary reference intakes for thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin B12, pantothenic acid, biotin, and choline. National Academies Press (US).
10. Kwong, J. C., Carr, D., Dhalla, I. A., Tom-Kun, D., & Upshur, R. E. (2005). Oral vitamin B 12 therapy in the primary care setting: a qualitative and quantitative study of patient perspectives. BMC family practice, 6(1), 8.
11. . Langan, R. C., & Goodbred, A. J. (2017). Vitamin B 12 Deficiency: Recognition and Management. American Family Physician, 96(6).
12.. Miller, A., Korem, M., Almog, R., & Galboiz, Y. (2005). Vitamin B12, demyelination, remyelination and repair in multiple sclerosis. Journal of the Neurological Sciences,233(1-2), 93-97. doi:10.1016/j.jns.2005.03.009
13. Møllehave, L. T., Skaaby, T., Simonsen, K. S., Thuesen, B. H., Mortensen, E. L., Sandholt, C. H., ... & Linneberg, A. (2017). Association studies of genetic scores of serum vitamin B12 and folate levels with symptoms of depression and anxiety in two danish population studies. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 71(9), 1054-1060.
14. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (2011). What are the signs and symptoms of pernicious anemia? Retrieved from https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/prnanmia/signs
15. Niculescu, M., & Zeisel, S. (2002). Diet, Methyl Donors and DNA Methylation: Interactions between Dietary Folate, Methionine and Choline. The Journal of Nutrition,132, 2333-2335.
16. Oh, R., & Brown, D. (2003). Vitamin B12 Deficiency. American Family Physician, 67(5), 979-986. Retrieved from http://www.aafp.org.libaccess.lib.mcmaster.ca/afp/2003/0301/p979.html
17. Osimani, A., Berger, A., Friedman, J., Porat-Katz, B. S., & Abarbanel, J. M. (2005). Neuropsychology of vitamin B₁₂ deficiency in elderly dementia patients and control subjects. Journal of geriatric psychiatry and neurology, 18(1), 33-38.
18. Vogiatzoglou, A., Smith, A. D., Nurk, E., Berstad, P., Drevon, C. A., Ueland, P. M., ... & Refsum, H. (2009). Dietary sources of vitamin B-12 and their association with plasma vitamin B-12 concentrations in the general population: the Hordaland Homocysteine Study. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 89(4), 1078-1087.
19. Whitney, E., Rolfes, S., Hammond, G., & Piche, L. (2011). Understanding Nutrition (1st ed., pp. 332-334). Toronto: Nelson Education Ltd.
+Mind Body Tonic With Dr Sita Well the GP issued me with more Vitamin D - 20,000ui plus Folic Acid - 5mg and tips on diet and getting more sun! Yeah right, I've had problems with my walking and haven't been downstairs for over 5 months. Nightmare, absolute nightmare. I've also been taking B12 for ages, shows how good it is (not!)!
+Mind Body Tonic With Dr Sita I have diabetes and got my blood test results today - B12, low, Vitamin D, appalling, White blood cells show signs of inflammation, transplant - holding steady. No wonder I'm exhausted, I can barely stand and haven't walked downstairs for over 5 months.
vitamin b 12 deficiency often goes unnoticed. this is especially the case in patients who have diabetes and are on long term metformin.
so it is v important that it gets identified and proper corrective steps in the form of dietary intake and supplements if needed are taken. In my newly launched channel i have put up a few videos about this..am planning more..Do check it out if you wish so
Community pharmacists are the health professionals most accessible to the public. They supply medicines in accordance with a prescription or, when legally permitted, sell them without a prescription. In addition to ensuring an accurate supply of appropriate products, their professional activities also cover counselling of patients at the time of dispensing of prescription and non-prescription drugs, drug information to health professionals, patients and the general public, and participation in health-promotion programmes. They maintain links with other health professionals in primary health care.